Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Winning the Democratic Nomination

“Based on their current delegate counts, neither candidate can win enough delegates in the remaining primaries and caucuses to secure the nomination without the help of nearly 800 party officials and top elected officials who also have a voice in the selection” (Kuhmhenn and Woodward). This is a statement made by Jim Kuhnhenn and Calvin Woodward in regards to the Democratic candidates running for presidency. I believe that this is a scary thought, and as a citizen I would rather have the votes from Florida and Michigan be counted instead of having delegates choice the Democratic nominee. Otherwise, the Democratic winner should be determined by the number of votes. The person with the most votes deserves to win; I think it’s the fairest thing. The problem that I have with party officials determining the winner (which I believe numerous other voters also have) is the fact that we, the citizens, are not choosing the democratic nominee, therefore, our voice is not being heard. What scares me the most is having another fiasco like in the 2000 elections where Bush won the presidency although the plurality of voters voted for Al Gore. It is times like these that causes me to believe that the current political system that we have is outdated and should be reformed to better fit today’s voters.

No comments: